Sunday, May 18, 2008

Biking and clean water?



The above picture is from a May 10 group ride that we did with others who will be riding in the Sea to Sea Tour this summer. One question I was asked recently, was, "Where will you get your water each day?" I quickly answered and shared how we can refill our bottles at the campsite and along the route at any park, store, restaraunt, etc..... I thought of my quick response to this question when I was speaking with my Aunt Carolyn about issues related to Nigeria and Kenya. One of the key efforts she has been involved in has been the issue of clean water for the people in this area. She shared stories of how a well can transform a community and save the lives of children. It actually changes the survival rate for these children from 20% survival rate by the age of 5 to 90% survival rate by the age of 10. Those are staggering figures! All from something as simple as clean water. Something you and I take for granted each day. Hopefully the bike tour can not only raise funds for key issues like this, but also awareness of these critical issues.