Saturday, August 23, 2008

Beautiful Scenery and Uncomfortable Questions 8/23/08

Stats for the day: 47 miles
Quote of the day from Mr Oost (a man with a thick dutch brogue), "I have to ask you about your skinny seat, vat do you do with your nutz"
My Reply: "I have a peanut allergy"
We laughed all the way down the road about the look on his face.

We were warned that there would be 5 food stops on the 47 mile route. We decided we needed to hold ourselves to 2 cookies per stop. Our strategy paid off:)
We had the chance to ride down a hill with a 12% grade. We held on tight and braced ourselves for the stop sign right at the bottom. Luckily we were able to stop. We then enjoyed some cake and coffee at the "Dutch Store" in Grimsby.
We eventually rolled into camp and signed up for a massage. Marijo had her feet, calves, and shoulders done. I asked for a leg massage. This transitioned into a leg/buttock massage. I know it sounds ackward, but it was heavenly! A huge thank you to the lady that did this, as I was sweaty and unshowered still! Now that is dedication. (It should be noted that I was especially pungent today. I even asked Marijo, and she validated this fact)
We are camped between the Lutke's and Lou Haveman. We had a nice talk with him about his interest in the tour. He too lamented about the struggle of riding for poverty as we feast on a daily basis. We talked about his work with Partners Worldwide and developing wells in third world countries. We both lamented that sometimes the biggest change you hope to see in the world needs, to start with yourself. Hopefully something that will last beyond the tour.
Tomorrow, the kids come up with my parents for the rally. We are looking forward to seeing them. Monday we will be off for NY.
More pictures to come!

1 comment:

Suzie's Bike Tour Support Page said...

James,
I am reading this at 5am Monday -I can't sleep any longer- and I am laughing so loud at the "uncomfortable question" and answer that I am probably waking up everyone in my billeting house. Very funny. I too signed up for a massage, but 1 woman quit early - timing was a bit suspect, what time did you get your massage? =)
Suzie Wiegers