Saturday, August 10, 2013

Always an end in sight

Thoughts on a week of riding....

About 3 days into the tour, I started riding sag to sag. (A sag is a place where all the riders are provided a rest stop by a group of volunteers.) There were sag stops every 15-ish miles. When I was getting tired, my feet hurt, legs hurt, bottom hurt...I would just tell myself I had to just go to the next sag where I would  get a break. Other times I would say something similar...like when my shower was cold, I'd remind myself I'd have a warm shower when I got home. When it rained on us while riding, I'd remind myself that I could dry out when I got to the end for the day. When I was hungry, there was always food, and in abundance at that. Water always available. Friendship, encouragement, and community always present. Roadside assistance always within a few minutes of the next rider. Always light at the end of the tunnel, always hope, always an end in sight when I was uncomfortable.
My life is like that. Never without hope. Our ride was for those who cannot claim that for themselves or their children. Poverty and the issues and problems that contribute to poverty are hope destroyers. My prayer is that I can be a hope builder both in this ride and in my daily life.
Peace to all,
Marijo

No comments: